Friday, June 12, 2009

More Good News!

Got word yesterday that "Smalltimore" has been accepted to the IndieFest in Anaheim, CA! That takes place the last week of August. I just looked at the schedule, and "Smalltimore" is screening on the last night, in the last evening slot. That is pretty primo and I am VERY happy about that.

Also was sent notice that "Smalltimore" has made it through the second round of the Red Rock Festival. I really want to get into that one. Though it is a newer festival, the venue looks absolutely amazing and I very much want to see my film on that screen.

"Smalltimore" screened here on Wednesday to a small but enthusiastic audience. My friend Jim (on whom the character of Jack was loosely molded) came up from London to see it. It was his first time watching any part of the movie, and something that made me happy is that he laughed at a lot of the little things that some people don't notice. My favorite movies are those of the true Silver Screen era, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Fred & Ginger, Mae West... and in those movies if you don't pay attention you can miss a lot of the laughs. I think in 2009 we are quite... I don't know if desensitized is the right word, probably not... I don't know, I think audiences expect to be handed everything. Here's an explosion, here's a car chase, here are some breasts, try not to think too hard. I like movies you have to work at a little bit.

I am so glad I have stayed for the whole week, I continue to meet very interesting fellow filmmakers. Last night I met two Scottish chaps named Ronnie and Paul who made a 4-minute film titled "Shooter". It is beautifully made and I was quite impressed - as was Cannes. They head to Edinburgh next. I am more than jealous. I love Scotland and I haven't been back there for far too long. And of course I would like to be in a festival there! Ah, well. At least I can listen to their lovely accents for a few days, and make a few contacts.

Tonight is the awards dinner which I am looking forward to. There were some very heavy films being shown today and I had to escape for a bit. Other than "Smalltimore" I have only seen one comedy and that was a short. Why do so many people think that in order for a film to be good it has to be depressing? I have seen some very good documentaries, though, and they each had a bit of humor in them. One was called, "Crossing Lines" which was very good, and another was an excellent doc about photographer Eddie Adams. My library computer session is about to end, sorry I have no time to give more details than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment