Saturday, June 13, 2009

"...first, drunk, and shy!"

Of course that partial quote does not pertain to moi. Last night was the Heart of England International Film Festival Awards Banquet, and my fellow filmmaker Indira was the first to win an award for her documentary "Crossing Lines". She did not make any sort of speech and as other awards were being handed out, she realized she should have, but, as she said of herself, "That's what happens when you are first [winner], drunk, and shy!" She is hysterical after a few drinks, she is far more bold and far less self-conscious. I have a few friends that I love to watch get drunk (Donna, Lisa) because they get so funny so quickly, and Indira is now on that list.

I had SO much fun last night, it was wonderful. I was seated with many of the new friends that I made this week, though unfortunately the Scots, Ronnie and Paul, were not at our table. They won also, for "Shooter" (as well they should have!), so we screamed and cheered for them. Actually, every single filmmaker at my table won an award - six in all, making our table the most trophy-laden in the room - except me. Wasn't even nominated. I knew this all along, that the people I was hanging out with were all nominated, and I knew that they were likely to win as well, and though I didn't spend a lot of time thinking about it, I wondered how I would feel during this event. Turns out I probably had more fun that way, as there was no pressure and no competition for me. I was truly happy for all of my new friends and we had a ridiculously good time. On each table was a centerpiece made of a gold heart. I whipped out my retractable Sharpie and turned it into my own award, writing on the heart, "SMALLTIMORE - Award for the Only Film at Table 3 Not to Win an Award". I then had everyone at my table - Vagabond, John & Alba, Carlos & Sallie, Rafael & Claudia, Isaac, and Indira - sign it, plus Ronnie and Paul (the Scots), Richard and Karen (local Tamworth filmmakers), Nick Hudson (festival Director), Jordan (Nick's assistant, John Welles (former Mayor of Tamworth), his filmmaker son David, and - I am not making this up - the actor who plays Boba Fett in the Star Wars films. Jeremy something, I can't make out the signature. I love my trophy and it makes me smile to look at it. I actually like it better than the ones that were awarded!

I am exhausted and dehydrated and need to go find some water now. All my friends have left and I got up too late to go out to Bosworth Battlefield where they were screening today. One more event tonight, a screening of "Radio Cape Cod," I will likely go to that. Then off to London tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment