Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Break Over

Hey gang, sorry for the radio silence. I needed a serious break from both All Things Movie and All Things Computer. I have been so close to "Smalltimore" for so long that I needed to step back for a little perspective, and I had been spending so much time at the computer that I was on the verge of major carpal tunnel syndrome. My arms tingled from my wrists all the way up to my shoulders, especially in my right arm, which is the hand I use more when typing and exclusively for editing, and I was starting to feel sharp pains as well. This post is the last thing I plan on doing on the computer today, as I am starting to tingle again after being on the computer catching up with email etc. for the last hour or so. My friend Matthew and my Mom have both had surgery for carpal tunnel, and it is something I am most interested in avoiding.

SO, what is new in MovieLand? Well, last Friday I was interviewed by Tiffany Ariany (Angela) on a television program called "Media Matters" which focuses on international finance and media arts. We talked about how I found my investors and how "Smalltimore" managed to get into an international film festival. It was fun, and great to see Tiffany, I had not laid eyes on her since the screening of the rough cut in December. She and her Mom, Farah, both look like a million bucks, as always. Tiffany is co-producing and editing the program in addition to hosting it. I think she is barely 20 years old! Can't wait to ask her to hire me for something when she's 30 and ruling the world.

I have booked my plane ticket for England, to attend the Heart of England Film Festival in Tamworth, where "Smalltimore" screens on June 10th. I plan to be there a few days early to spend my evenings liquoring up the locals and convincing them to attend the screening. I am hoping that at least one of my stars will join me, but haven't had anyone confirm yet.

Found out that my job-job seems to be semi-secure at least until the end of summer (knock on wood). Really hoping I can stretch that out until the end of the calendar year and pay off a few more credit cards.

Waiting to hear back from some more film festivals. There are a few that I am REALLY hoping to get into, even though it may be tough to scrape the $$$ together to actually attend them. Had a huge yard sale last weekend that made enough cash to cover the rest of my hotel expenses in England, so that was good. And so successful that my neighbors and I plan on doing it monthly! Next sale, Sunday, June 28th, 9am-3pm, so mark your calendars!

Also of course I am teaching a one-day pre-production class at the Creative Alliance on Saturday, June 6th, 10am-4pm. If you are planning your own production soon, I promise you will learn enough in this class to save you enough time and money that the class will more than pay for itself - AND allow me to eat in England!

Wrist really starting to hurt, so signing off for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment