Monday, May 11, 2009

Confusions of Grandeur



The Bentleys: Keith Bentley and Johnny Benson, who plays Keith Bentley - photo by Richard Payne at the "Smalltimore" premiere]

9 movies in 3 days at the Maryland Film Festival... I am about cinema'd out. Saw a couple flicks I REALLY enjoyed: "Stingray Sam," I think was my favorite, but "The Immaculate Conception of Little Dizzle," was also very good and absolutely hysterical. Since that one started 25 minutes late, I missed the first 25 minutes of "The Overbrook Brothers," but I went in anyway and I liked that one also.

I saw two documentaries, "Invisible Girlfriend," and "Rocaterrania." There were a few things about both of them that bugged me, but I thought they were both very good as well. I don't know if I would ever be interested in making a documentary. I think it would be a very difficult undertaking, and most documentaries, if you think about it, are about subjects that are somewhat sad, or politically controversial, or both. Those are exactly the sort of things that put a beat-down on my spirit. It takes so much blood, sweat, and tears to make any sort of movie. I don't know if I could (or would want to) put myself through an emotional wringer while trying to do that. I am too empathetic to people with problems, I don't know if I could make an objective production in those circumstances.

What else did I see... "Daytime Drinking," was good, but a bit too long, and I enjoyed, "Modern Love is Automatic," the closest thing the MFF had to a local production. I saw the John Waters' pick, "Love Songs," which was just okay in my opinion, and not nearly as good as "Sleeping Dogs Lie" two years ago (available at Video Americaine - RENT IT).

"Somers Town," was good. "Lightning Salad Motion Picture," not so much. I was really psyched to see this one, it sounded very "Kids in the Hall", and the creators of it were there and said a few words beforehand and they were cute and funny and energetic and I really WANTED to like this movie. I sat through the first half hour, laughed a few times but not nearly as many times as I think I was supposed to. I know I still have some sound issues to take care of in "Smalltimore," but the sound issues with "Lightning Salad" were beyond forgiveness. As the movie began painfully corkscrewing towards a major crash and burn, I kept trying to hang in there, but finally told myself, if I don't laugh in the next five minutes, I'm outta here. I don't know if I have ever walked out of a movie before, but five minutes later, that's what I did. I felt bad because those guys were in the audience, but it was seriously more than I could take. Maybe it is one of those movies that you need to be high for.

It was a good example, however, of a universal truth I am learning the hard way: when it comes to festivals, being weird is FAR more important than being good. I like seeing weird movies, but they have to be GOOD weird movies. OR I have to be very, very drunk.

Another thing that bugged me is that so many movies "Modern Love...", "Somers Town," "Invisible Girlfriend," seemed to put little to no thought into the ending of the film, they just sort of trail off... I don't think that is "artsy" any longer. I think it is played out. An ending to a movie doesn't have to be happy to be satisfactory. Make me laugh, make me cry, make me think, or leave me with a great big cliffhanger that makes me go, "GAH!!!", but make me feel SOMETHING.

Anyway... all in all, I had a good time at the MFF, and I saw 9 1/3 movies for $50 (I am a Friend of the Festival, so I got into any movies before 6:00pm on Friday for free), so you can't beat that. But it also showed me the difference between movies made for festivals and movies made for widespread distribution. I mean, I sort of knew that before, and Eric talks a lot about it, as he made a movie ("23 Hours") specifically for festivals, and did very well with it, including at Slamdance. But this was the first film festival I have attended since MAKING a movie. So it really brought it home.

Bleah. It's kind of confusing. It's like, what are your choices? Make a weird movie and have a better chance of getting into a film festival but little chance of getting real theater distribution. Make a normal, even watered-down movie that tries to please everyone and spend the majority of your budget to hire an A- or B-list actor so it has a chance at distribution. Or make a good movie with no major actors and have little chance of getting into festivals or widespread distribution!

Don't get me wrong. I'm proud of "Smalltimore," and given the chance, I don't think I'd do much differently. I'm still all over it and I think good things lie ahead. It just makes me think about what I want to do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment